~The Catch-All Drawer~

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Track me!
Does the term RFID scare you yet? That's the little raido frequiency ID tag that is replacing the barcode in the retail supply chain, notably by our good friend Walmart. The efficiency of standing with a RFID reader next to a pallete of goods in a warehouse, and all the little tags yelling "here I am, count me, I have been here 63 hours and 14 seconds" versus swiping barcodes on thousands of products is obvious. However the privacy nuts like me say that these tags are still active on your grill in your back yard when you get it home, so it can tell market researchers driving by something about you that may be none of their business. Also, the world is brainstorming daily as to what they can track with these little devils.

Here is a prime creative use being implemented in Japan.
Headline Japan: Schoolkids to be tagged with RFID chips
By Jo Best, Special to CNETAsia
Monday, July 12 2004 10:33 AM
Japanese authorities decide tracking is best way to protect kids

Tossed in by: R.G.B.
. . . Wednesday, July 14, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Track me!