~The Catch-All Drawer~

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Motorcycles
My friend and room-mate in college had a motorcycle. It gave him some extra freedom and independence. He was not some burly Harley club guy, he was an accountant type, but always had something unique, as you would expect from a genuine personality like Doug, or 'Sarge" as I called him. For example he drove a BMW with a solid drive shaft instead of a chain drive, which impressed the cycle crowd, but went over my head. Doug and a friend tried to get me involved. Somehow they found a contact with a whole train car that had "WWII Indian US surplus cycles packed in cosmolene." If they could have found twenty people to buy in, they could have had them cheap, but it never happened.

Anyhow, I got an email from him lately, sort of out of the blue, and I made a page of old motorcycle pictures for him that I have collected over the years. Some of them came from a screen saver I bought 10 years ago, and others images culled from the web from time to time, popped into a directory that I didn't know what to do with. Here is the page, if you like old motorcycles.

On the motorcycle theme, I have a neighbor who posed an interesting moral question to me. I need input on this. He has a motorcycle in his garage that he has stored there, idle for years, since he got married. I guess he had been quite a risky rider in his youth, because he had promised his father he would not ride it again after he got married. He kept it, thinking that times could change things, and he really loved the bike. His father died some years ago, and still he feels he is still bound by his promise not to drive it. He clearly has doubts, and thinks there might be a statute of limitations on that sort of thing. He asked me what I thought. That's a tough one, isn't it? Leave comments please!

Tossed in by: R.G.B.
. . . Tuesday, October 19, 2004

1 Comments:

The whole point of the father's extracted promise came from his desire to protect his daughter-in-law from losing her husband. Therefore, he should ask his wife what she thinks. She will know if he's still a bad driver, and whether or not she is willing to have him take the risk.

Post a Comment


Motorcycles