~The Catch-All Drawer~

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Mathematics
I always snicker when people seem to be almost proud of their lack of computer skills and the same of lack of mathematic skills. "Oh, I could never figure that out, I'm not good at math." Not that I am a whiz by any means, but I did struggle through calculus way back when, and like remembering names and faces, I believe math is something you can improve with a little rolling up the sleeves. That is in the real world, not the world of professional number chrunchers.

Look at the most recent article in the Journal of the American Mathematics Society. Real bounds, ergodicity and negative Schwarzian for multimodal maps.

Abstract: We consider smooth multimodal maps which have finitely many non-flat critical points. We prove the existence of real bounds. From this we obtain a new proof for the non-existence of wandering intervals, derive extremely useful improved Koebe principles, show that high iterates have `negative Schwarzian derivative' and give results on ergodic properties of the map. One of the main complications in the proofs is that we allow $f$ to have inflection points.

Am I out of touch, or what? What the blazes are they talking about? Oh, well. I do know that The circumference of a circle is its diameter times pi .



Tossed in by: R.G.B.
. . . Saturday, November 20, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Mathematics