~The Catch-All Drawer~

Friday, April 08, 2005

Moho beware!
I remember back in the 60's there was a hoopla about the "IGY" or International Geophysical Year" where the government had many earth bound aggressive science projects, sort of a counter to the space program, to explore the oceans, the earth's crust, etc. They were drilling in the Mariana trench, the deepest part of the Atlantic, to try to break through the crust to the mantle. I was into Geology at the time, cheering them on, and I remember they abandoned that project due to lack of funding. (ooohhhh nooo) I would have solved a lot of assumptions about the mantle's mineral composition, the continental drift, and significant scientific advances. I had wondered over the years what had happened with this. Had I learned to pronounce "Mohorovicic discontinuity" in vain?

News Flash! April 7 2005: Hole Drilled to Bottom of Earth's Crust, Breakthrough to Mantle Looms

Tossed in by: R.G.B.
. . . Friday, April 08, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Moho beware!